J-L Guidance Department



The ACT National Test Dates are on six Saturdays throughout the year. 
To see this year’s available test dates and registration deadlines, Click Here

Students who would like to register to take the ACT can register online at www.ACTstudent.org
There are also resources available at ACT student to help students prepare for taking the ACT.

Beginning with the 2015-16 school year, all juniors will take the SAT in April as part of the Michigan State Testing Program. 
Any student who would like to take the SAT on a National Test Date, can find available test dates by Clicking Here 

Students who would like to register to take the SAT can register by Clicking Here

There are also resources available at https://sat.collegeboard.org/home to help students prepare for taking the SAT. 
Students can find personalized practice at https://www.khanacademy.org/sat.



If you graduated in 2012 or later
and need a transcript sent somewhere, please submit your request via Parchment at www.parchment.com.

Students who graduated before 2012
should request a transcript by completing the Transcript Request Form
and emailing it to hsoffice@jlas.org  or mailing it to:
     Johannesburg-Lewiston High School
     10854 M-32 East
     Johannesburg, MI 49751


check list


Students can receive credit in a course by earning a qualifying score on an assessment that measures the student’s understanding of the subject area content expectations or guidelines.    Assessments could be in the form of a final exam, a series of tests from the course, a portfolio, performance, a paper, a project, or a presentation, depending on whatever the school district has determined. These assessments are extensive and comprehensive, covering all aspects of the high school content expectations.

Students who wish to test-out, must submit a Test-Out Request a minimum of 10 days before the class begins. 
A test date will be established and the students will be expected to test on that date. 
Any exceptions to these procedures must be approved by the high school principal.

                                A student must achieve a minimum “cut score” in order to demonstrate mastery of the high school content expectations (HSCE’s) for the course in which they wish to test out. The established “cut scores” are as follows:

  • A student who has taken a course and failed must score at least a 60% on the secondary credit assessment approved by the administration.
  • A student who wishes to demonstrate mastery in a particular required course without enrolling in the course must score at least a 75% on the secondary credit assessment approved by the administration.
  • A student who has an approved personal curriculum may receive credit in a particular course by achieving an alternative cut score as specified in the student’s personal curriculum documents.



There are several websites available for students to explore different careers.  Here are some of my favorites…

                                To find careers that match your interests, skills and values, visit one of the following sites:

Complete a
Career Pathway Assessment to find a list of careers that match your interests.

Find the O-Net Interest profiler at
(click on “Start” under “Tell us what you like to do.”)

Interests, Skills and Values: 

(click on the “Explore Careers” then look under the heading “Self Assessments” to find the different assessments.)

Interests and Skills: 
(click on the “Resources” then scroll to the bottom and look under “Explore Careers”.

http://www.bls.gov/k12/students.htm  (click on “Career Exploration” to search for jobs based on a particular interest.

                                To find information about specific careers, including job description, specific job tasks, approximate salaries, growth rate and more,
visit the Occupational Outlook Handbook at www.bls.gov/ooh/, www.careeronestop.org (click on “Career Profile”),
or www.mitalent.org  (click on “Career Explorer”).
                                For a great resource to find apps to support, inform, and coach you to and through college, visit http://collegeappmap.org/.

To search available jobs in Michigan and surrounding areas, visit www.mitalent.org


                                To find a list of colleges in Michigan that offer a career that you are interested in, visit the Index for College Programs
The easiest way to search this list for a career is to right click on the screen and then click on “Find”. 
Type the name of the college degree you are interested in.  You may need to play around with the keyword you are searching a bit to find your results. 
For example if you are interested in becoming a high school teacher, you would pursue a degree in secondary education. 
Typing “education” would work, but typing “teacher” would not yield any results.

Educational Development Plan
Word Document
Updated 2/28/20

Educational Development Plan
.PDF Format

Updated 2/28/20

Alpena Community College




March 2023 Scholarship Newsletter

Scholarship Hints

Scholarship Tips

Danica Nowak
Johannesburg-Lewiston High School
731-4420 ext. 2107

Important FAFSA Information
You can access FAFSA for the next school year on October 1st.

Be sure you use the www.fafsa.gov website – there are others out there that try to trick you into paying
to apply for financial aid.  FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid,
so applying should not cost you anything

The FAFSA can be completed online at https://fafsa.gov/
(Please note the correct website.  Other companies have set up similar sites in an effort to solicit payment, but completing the FAFSA is free.)

                                You can find more information about the different types of federal aid and the FAFSA at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/

For more information about the programs that Michigan has available, please visit http://www.michigan.gov/mistudentaid.   

College Scholarships


                                FINDING SCHOLARSHIPS                             
Each month, the scholarships that come through the guidance office are compiled into a newsletter, which is then available in the office, on our website, and e-mailed to seniors and their parents who have provided e-mail addresses.  If you would like to be added to the e-mail list so that you can receive this scholarship newsletter or if you offer a scholarship and would like it included on the newsletter, please send an e-mail to Danica Nowak at nowakd@jlas.org.

Please encourage your student get organized and apply for as many scholarships as they qualify. 
Here are some helpful hints for your student when applying for scholarships…

1)      Get applications together early.
2)      Read and follow the instructions carefully.
3)      Personalize the application and essay to fit the scholarship for which you are applying.  Be passionate and work to make your essay stand apart from the other applicants.
4)      Type applications when possible.  If handwritten, be sure to write neatly in ink.
5)      Proofread for grammar and spelling.
6)      Be sure to include any attachments requested such as transcripts, letters of recommendations, copy of college acceptance letter, etc.
7)      Make a copy of your application before mailing.
8)      Give your application plenty of time to arrive to its destination by the deadline.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Danica Nowak

There are also several scholarship searches available to students who wish to spend more time looking for scholarships.  When using scholarship searches online, one should be aware of potential scams and fraud.  To learn how to identify potential problems and avoid paying out unnecessary money, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/scams.
Some of the scholarship searches that one may wish to consider are:



(click on “Types of Aid” then click “scholarships or grants at the bottom of the page)




In addition to online scholarship searches, students may want to check the resources below:

  • the financial aid office at a college or career school
  • a high school or TRIO counselor (Ms. Oliver)
  • foundations, religious or community organizations, local businesses, or civic groups
  • organizations (including professional associations) related to your field of interest
  • your employer or your parents’ employers
  • your parents’ auto insurance provider, electric provider, natural gas provider
  • ethnicity-based organizations


Get Organized
Once you find some scholarships you would like to apply for, get yourself organized.  Find a pocket folder where you can keep all of your scholarship together.  Organize the applications by deadline dates and plan to mail each application out about two weeks before the actual deadline.  Use sticky notes to write down deadlines and required attachments (e.g. transcript, letters of recommendations, résumé, etc.) for each scholarship.

Prepare Ahead
Know who your targeted audience is before you begin the application.  Think about the types of things that they would be looking for in the application. 

Read up on tips from experts, such as “How to Win a Merit Scholarship”, to increase your chances of winning a scholarship. 

If you have to write an essay, check out the tips available at http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/essays.phtml.

Make a list of your accomplishments, both academic and extracurricular and save it on your computer. This list should include your activities, awards, contributions and/or experiences.  This will be helpful to refer to as you complete your scholarship applications to ensure that you do not unintentionally omit something important.  You may even be able to use this list, or a similar copy, in your application if given the opportunity to “attach additional information, if necessary”.  
Ask people who know you well to write you a letter of recommendation.  Provide these
people with your list of accomplishments so they can highlight things that make you stand out in the letter. Be aware that many scholarships require up to three letters of recommendations, so having more than three gives you the ability to select which letters to use for different scholarship applications.  Be sure to give the recommended enough time to write a “good” letter.

Neatness Counts

Type as much of the application as possible.  If you must handwrite something, be sure it is very neat.  Use ink, but only blue or black.  If you make a mistake, either fix it neatly or start over.  Organize the completed application components in the order they were requested.



College Athletics

Student athletes who wish to participate in sports at a NCAA post- intentions as early as possible. Students will want to ensure that they complete courses that meet the eligibility requirements before they graduate high school.  Download a NCAA Guide for the College Bound Student Athlete to review the NCAA eligibility requirements, or visit www.eligibilitycenter.org.
Click here to find your sport at a NCAA member Schools.

Student athletes who wish to participate in sports at a NAIA post-secondary school must meet NAIA eligibility requirements. 
These students should let their counselor and/or coach know about their intentions as early as possible. 
Students will want to ensure that they complete courses that meet the eligibility requirements before they graduate high school. 

Download a NAIA Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete to review the NAIA eligibility requirements, or visit http://www.naia.org/.
Click here to find your sport at a NAIA member Schools.




The following graduation requirements must be met in order for a student to participate in the graduation ceremony at Johannesburg-Lewiston High School.  All subjects carry ½ credit per semester.  Please read over the following information carefully so an informed decision can be made about your student's schedule.

  • Each student must earn a minimum number of 24 credits in order to graduate from JLHS.
  • The following designated credits must be included in his/her credits as required by the State of Michigan:
    • 4 credits in English
    • 4 credits in Math (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and 1 additional math credit, a math course is required in the senior year)
    • 3 credits in Science (including 1 credit in Biology, 1 credit in either Chemistry or Physics, and one additional science credit)
    • 3 credits in Social Studies (½ credit in Civics, ½ credit in Economics and 1 credit in American History, and 1 credit in World History)
    • 1 credit in Integrated Computer Applications (ICAps) (This course includes the required online learning experience.)
    • ½ credit in Physical Education
    • ½ credit in Health
    • 1 credit in Visual, Performing or Applied Arts
    • 2 credits in Foreign Language* (must be 2 years of the same foreign language) (beginning with the Class of 2016)

*For graduating classes of 2015-2020 only, 1 of the required foreign language credits may be substituted with an approved CTE program or by completing an additional visual or performing arts course.


Curriculum Guide

For information about scheduling, grading, and descriptions of the high school courses we offer, please see our

2023-24 Curriculum Guide

This Guide is updated on an annual basis and distributed in February, when students select their courses for the following year.


Get the Jump

Recorded Dual Enrollment Meeting for Students & Parents

Please sign out in the library if you are leaving the building 4th or 5th hours. 
Sign out with Mrs. Smokevitch 6th or 7th hours if you are leaving the building. 
You must leave at the beginning of the hour and you may not return until 3:07 p.m. 

Students must have either: (1) a qualifying On-Track Readiness Score on the EXPLORE, PLAN, ACT Aspire or PSAT and a GPA of 3.0 or higher or (2) a qualifying College-Readiness Score on the Accuplacer, ACT or SAT to take a dual enrollment class.  Students who have a qualifying On-Track Readiness Score but a GPA below 3.0 may demonstrate college readiness by taking the Accuplacer and achieving qualifying College-Readiness Scores in one or more subject areas.  Qualifying test scores can be found HERE.

Once a student is qualified to take a dual enrollment course, the student must complete an application for admissions to the college in which they wish to dual enroll.  Please note:  You only have to apply to a college before you take your initial class.  If a student does not apply for admissions, the college cannot enroll the student in a course.  It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that an application is submitted.  Students interested in taking a dual enrollment course through a different college must notify the high school counselor and contact that college to find out their application process.

For Courses through North Central Michigan College:
At North Central Michigan College (NCMC), this is done online at www.ncmich.edu 
 Click “Apply Now” then click “Attending North Central while in high school”. 
After applying, you will get an e-mail with your portal log-in information.  You will want to keep this log-in information in a safe place for future reference.

For Courses through Kirtland Community College:
Please carefully read and follow the 10 steps that Kirtland Community College requires of dual enrollment students. 
The application for Kirtland Community College (KCC) is at www.kirtland.edu
Click “Apply Now-It’s Free” then click “High School Dual/Concurrent Enrolled Student”.
Once you have completed the application, you should refer back to the 10 steps to see what you need to do next.

For Courses through Alpena Community College:
At Alpena Community College (ACC), this is done online at www.alpenacc.edu.  Click “Admissions” then click “Apply for Admissions” and then “Apply Online”. 

  • After completing the college application, you will need to complete the dual enrollment paperwork below to get registered for the course(s) you wish to take.  You can find the course schedules for the classes being offered by on the college website or by clicking the appropriate link below.  Refine your search to find the location of course you are looking for (i.e. online, Gaylord, etc.)

    NCMC’s Course Schedule

    KCC’s Course Schedule

    ACC’s Course Schedule


    See Mrs. Nowak for Up-to-Date Dual Enrollment Paperwork.

    We encourage our dual enrollment students to take general education courses that will easily transfer to another college. 
    As a guide in selecting courses, we refer students to the Michigan Transfer Agreement, which provides a general guide
    of coursework that will transfer, and to the Michigan Transfer Network, which allows students to look up courses to see where they will transfer.


    To fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement, students must successfully complete at least 30 credits, with at least a 2.0 in each course. These credits, which will be certified by a Michigan community college, should be met according to the following distribution:
    • 1 course in English Composition
    • A second course in English Composition or 1 course in Communications
    • 1 course in Mathematics
    • 2 courses in Social Sciences (from two disciplines)
    • 2 courses in Humanities and Fine Arts (from two disciplines and excluding studio and performance classes)
    • 2 courses in Natural Sciences including one with laboratory experience (from two disciplines)
    Editorial Note: if these courses do not add up to 30 hours then the student must take an additional course from one of these groups.

To find out which NCMC courses fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement, click here.
To find out which KCC courses fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement, click here.
To find out which ACC courses fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement, click here.


For ACC, go to “Course Materials
To find the book you will need for your dual enrollment course, you will need to know the information about your course, such as course name and section number and the instructor.  You can look the course up on the college website to find the title and ISBN number of the required book.  For NCMC, this is done under the “College Store” tab on the NCMC website.  Then click on “Textbooks” and enter your course information, beginning with the semester you are taking the course.  For KCC, go to the “Bookstore” and click on “How to Purchase Textbooks”.


In order for the courses you take through dual enrollment to transfer to another college, you must have the college in which you took the dual enrollment courses send your transcript to the new college you plan to attend.  For students who dual enrolled through NCMC, you must complete a Transcript Request Form and follow the instructions outlined on NCMC’s website.  For students who dual enrolled through KCC, you must also complete a Transcript Request Form and follow the steps on their website.


Updated 3/4/23